Every so often, we get an email asking us about what people should do, see, or eat when they visit Cardiff. Yesterday I was emailed by Dylan. His email (and my response) are below.
But I need your input! I’ve suggested music venues and events, pubs, and places to eat and go for a walk – but what would you suggest for Dylan to do? Please leave your suggestions in the comments!
Hello and thanks for your message. I’m very happy to suggest some things for you to do on your weekend in our fine city!
There really is a lot going on that weekend in Cardiff, and in some great venues too!
Music wise, I’d suggest on the Friday you pick one of these:
Clwb Ifor Bach, Young Promoters Network & Wales Online Present: A SOUND REACTION – STRAIGHT OUTTA MERTHYR.
Clwb Ifor Bach is one of Cardiff’s longest standing venues for independent promoters, bands, DJs and club nights, and this is a new night where the Young Promoters Network have teamed up with Clwb Ifor Bach & new music superhero A Sound Reaction (aka. Local music journo David Owens) to bring you a new monthly live night bringing his amazing weekly playlist to life. This month is a straight outta Merthyr special, where they are bringing you three of the best bands from Merthyr’s ever blossoming, diverse and richly deep music scene.
It’s only a fiver on the door: https://www.facebook.com/events/1628286074082635/
The other option is also in a great independent local venue, with a local band:
Gwdihw presents Johnny Cage & the Voodoogroove’s Rock n’ Roll Revue
Sept 18th | 9pm | £5/4adv. Johnny Cage & the Voodoogroove are a much loved local rock’n’roll outfit who always bring a brilliant party.
Again, just a fiver on the door https://www.facebook.com/events/1667912606772862/
On Saturday, If you fancy something a bit off the wall, there’s this in an antiques market! Babylon Cardiff Rooftop Party || The Last Dance.. Honest
Personally, my favourite (other) venue in Cardiff is the Moon (https://www.facebook.com/TheMoonClub?fref=ts) – always have a right good knees up in there (it’s on Womanby Street, opposite Clwb Ifor Bach – known here are the Welsh Club, btw!).
Wales has a couple of beer breweries, but the main one is called Brains (isn’t that a great name?), also there’s Pipes beers and Tiny Rebel. All local, all your should try.
I’m often found nursing a pint at:
– Urban Taphouse (local beers and ciders, nice old school place that sells Tiny Rebel)https://www.facebook.com/urbantaphousecardiff?fref=ts
– Porters (a co-operative bar with its own theatre and open mic nights, I really love this place)https://www.facebook.com/Porterscardiff?fref=ts
– Sunflower and I – If you have time, there’s this great little place in Cardiff Bay called Sunflower and I – which is a café/bar/florist (!) run by two amazing ex-opera singers. Definitely worth a peep if you make it down to the Bay https://www.facebook.com/pages/SunflowerI/349724635131752?fref=ts
Eating out – it totally depends on what you want!
One of my favourite places to have lunch in town is Wyndham Tea – a teahouse in the Wyndham Arcade (Cardiff is full of arcades, make sure you explore them all!) http://waterlootea.com/pages/tea-shops It does lovely wholesome type meals (quinoa, glass noodle salads, etc).
For a fried English breakfast, definitely head to the Cardiff Indoor Market and go upstairs – you can get an amazing cooked breakfast for very cheap, and get a lovely view of the market and the people who wander around in it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_Market
Getting out of the city
Depending on the weather, there are a few really nice places to get out and see/hike:
– Cardiff Bay 10k barrage walk. If it’s sunny, this is lovely http://www.cardiffharbour.com/objview.asp?Object_ID=69
– Castell Coch: lovely fairytale castle, not too far from Cardiff (and if you’re eager, you can walk up the Garth Mountain, opposite the castle) http://cadw.gov.wales/daysout/castell-coch/?lang=en
– Brecon Beacons (if you’re feeling adventurous, you can climb Pen y Fan, the tallest mountain in the south of the UK) http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/article-1356405780951/
I’m going to post this on We Are Cardiff and invite our readers to suggest places for you to visit, eat and drink at. The power of the pack! I’ll send you the link so you can keep an eye on comments.
OKAY READERS … DO YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS FOR DYLAN? PLEASE COMMENT AND TELL HIM WHAT HE SHOULD DO ON HIS WEEKEND IN THE CITY!