Gah. Well I don’t know about you, but it feels like this is a time of chaos and uncertainty – where you’ve got to fight tooth and nail for the things that are important to you.
If you’ve ever been to a gig on / been drunk on / sat around at midnight on / enjoyed a festival on WOMANBY STREET, then you owe it to the alternative cultural scene of the city to JOIN THE CAMPAIGN TO SAVE IT! If you’re not into chain bars, Cardiff’s night time economy is a pretty small slice for you: don’t let them take it away from us.
So what’s going on? In brief, a request for planning permission has gone in for residential to be built on Womanby Street. The Sprout have a pretty good precis of the situation, so rather than me rewording it, just go over there and read it: Save Womanby Street (The Sprout).
WHAT CAN YOU DO:
- You have until tomorrow to LODGE YOUR OWN OBJECTION to the planning application on Cardiff Council’s website. When you look at the overwhelming amount of negative feedback from residents, councillors and MPs, it’s almost inconceivable they’ll allow it to go ahead. But who knows what greases the wheels behind the closed doors of the Powers That Be, eh? You’ll need to register (it takes 30 seconds) before you can post a comment. PLEASE DO THIS.
- It’s a bit late now, but you can still write to your councillor / Assembly Member / Member of Parliament to complain about the way the law is applied with regards to responsibility of soundproofing between England and Wales.
- GO TO THE SAVE WOMANBY STREET PARTY! Friday 28 April 10pm, Clwb Ifor Bach
- PARTICIPATE IN THE SAVE WOMANBY STREET MARCH ON CITY HALL: Saturday 29 April, 4pm, meeting at Womanby Street
- Join the Save Womanby Street Facebook page
The Full Moon will also be re-opening this weekend and will be part of the Save Womanby Street festivities
Millennium Walk graffiti wall is gone. The Full Moon was going … it’s been rebooted … but it’s important we try and support these local independent businesses, and celebrate the Cardiffians behind them.
MAKE SOME NOISE! RESIST!
Good luck to everyone going on the march on Saturday. We’ll see you down the front.
- Sign up for the weekly We Are Cardiff newsletter
- Check out what’s going on with We Are Cardiff Press
- Like us on Facebook
- Squawk @ us on Twitter @wearecardiff
- Follow us on Instagram/WeAreCardiff